Well, we have been in Vienna now for a week. It has gone by pretty fast, but it seems we haven't accomplished all that much. We are still looking for a place to live and have yet to acquire phones. Hopefully, today we will make strides in both areas.
Here are a few highlights from the first week. First, we had our first BBQ, Viennese style. This was also our first opportunity to entertain guests, Brian and Alisha. Apparently, getting a charcoal grill started differs slightly in the US and Austria. Namely, the equipment required is very important. For example, in the US to have a BBQ you need charcoal, liquid lighter, a match and some skill at getting in going. My Eagle Scout husband is more than capable of handling this. Now, add in the new culture element. In Vienna, to have a BBQ you need charcoal, small while flammable blocks and match and a hair dryer. Yes, a hair dryer!!! We brought the charcoal back to the apartment and put it in the grill and tried to light the bricks by themselves, thinking they might be "presoaked" since we didn't see liquid lighter at the store. No luck. After scratching our heads for a bit we decided to ask the landlady for help. She came over and told me something in German, the only thing I caught was "bathroom". The only in the bathroom that was liquid was toilet cleaner. I was pretty sure this was not the right thing, but brought it out anyway. She took one look at it and me and said something else in German, which most likely was "you idiot". Finally, I surmised she meant hairdryer. Still puzzled I brought it out to her. She gave it to Jake and he started "drying" the coals. Once again, something in German, "idiot". Finally, she retrieved some small white blocks which she put on the coals and lit with a match and then used the hair dryer to speed the process. AHHH!!! Now, we understood. She bid us good evening and went back to her place. You learn something new everyday!!!! We have video and will try to upload soon. (I need Jake's help for that part.)
Another highlight from the first week was I took Abby to the grocery store by myself. I know this sounds like no big deal, but was a victory for me. This was fairly uneventful, we maganged to get what I wanted and get out without any major breakdowns from either of us. Finally, Jake led singing for the first time in German. On Sunday, we worshipped with the Mondscheingasse congregation. The entire day was in German, but it is good for us to hear proper German spoken. I spend most of the two hours trying to keep Abby entertained and quiet. She did really well. At the close of service the preacher, Hans Dieterscheck, asked if Jake could help lead a song. Jake was thrilled to do so. He lead "Rock of Ages" auf Duetsch. It went well. Afterwards, we visited with some of the members.
Please be praying this week that we can find a place to live SOON. The two rooms of our temporary housing are feeling really small. Also, please be praying that the team can be a blessing to the Christians in Vienna. Love to all.
3 comments:
I absolutely love reading yoru blog. It is so interesting to hear little things like the hairdryer. It is probably frustrating at the time, though. We will be praying for you!
Candice
Hey, I know things can be frustrating at first but just try to laugh about it and it makes it so much better! I'm glad you had a good worship on Sunday with the Christians there.
I stumbled onto your blog & I'm so glad I did! I'm excited to read about your adventures! I hope you've made some strides in the housing dept!!! You're in our prayers!
Post a Comment