Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten '08

Well, school has begun again here in Vienna. A day parents have waited all summer for, I'm sure. I wasn't waiting so anxiously, though. You see, as I mentioned previously, Abby started at a new kindergarten this year. Over the past year and a few months many things have had to be learned, many, many things. Upon arrival in Vienna it seemed as if almost nothing was the same. At least as far as, procedure was concerned. There were many tears and frustrations in those first few months, but now, most things seem rather normal. And since most things seemed normal, I wasn't anxious to start learning again. Don't get me wrong, there were many very valid reasons to change Abby's kindergarten, but none of them were making much sense to me in the days leading up to yesterday. You see, I had kindergarten figured out. I knew how it all worked at her old school--who the teachers were, how the day went, in short, what to expect. But now, we would be starting all over again. It should be noted here, that only the mother had these concerns, father and daughter exhibited no signs of worry.
So, yesterday morning we woke up bright and early for the big day. Abby had her usual breakfast and we only had a minor confrontation about wardrobe. Off we went to start this new adventure. Once at kindergarten, Abby acted as if she had been doing this all for a long time. I was relieved at the friendliness of her teachers, the classroom is great and we even met some English speaking parents who were beginning at the school for the first time as well. We hung out for about and hour and a half and then went home. Let me tell you, Abby was not excited about only getting to stay for a short time. We assured her the next day would be longer, though. So, all in all, it was a great day. I have been praying about this for a long time and God has surely answered my prayers. Here are some pics from the big day.





3 comments:

Candice said...

Yay! We need more posts from you and more pics of Abby! How big she is! You guys are doing great in Vienna!

Jen said...

Thanks, Amanda!! We miss you guys too! Abby sure is getting so big! She is so cute! Tell everyone hi for us.

April said...

I'm so glad that your prayers have been answered about her new Kindergarten. I'm sure that is a nerve-wracking thing to do! I can try to imagine ourselves in the same place and I think I would be a bit anxious about it too. I am looking forward to seeing you very soon!