Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentines Day

Our first Valentine's Day in Vienna was one of the best ever!!! Although, at the start of the day I had my doubts. Silly girl, don't you know your hubby always comes through!?! So, here's the breakdown for the day. The morning started off as usual, waking up and getting Abby ready for kindergarten, eating breakfast, taking a shower, nothing grand. Due to a crazy German class schedule this month, I have been taking Abby to school. That is exactly what I was planning on doing this particular morning as well. So, as we are about to walk out the front door, Jake comes out of our bedroom saying he is going to drive us to the bus stop and drop us off. What? This throws a wrench in my day. I had planned to take Abby to school and then drive to a store I have been wanting to visit and do some research on entry way furnishings. Well, now that was blown. We hadn't previously discussed the day's events, but I definitely made my plans. FYI, in case you didn't know, I don't like it very much when my plans get all messed up. I got over it and said it was fine if he dropped us off, thinking, "Well, I guess Ill just have to go down to Karlsplatz and have a Starbucks instead." So, Jake dropped us off at the bus stop and said to call him when I dropped Abby off. Arrrggghhhh, here he goes again, messing my plans up!!!! Then suddenly, it occurs to me he may be up to something. So, naturally, I cheerfully say, "Ok." Kisses and Abby and I head to the bus stop. I think I see the bus coming and we have to make a run for it. If you haven't done it before, picking up a 33 pound 4 year old and making a run for the bus isn't fun. Turns out, it wasn't even our bus.
We'll skip the uneventful bus ride and jump ahead to calling Jake. I make the call and he he asks me to meet him at the u-bahn stop close by one of the shopping centers. He says it will be a little bit so I can just hang out at the mall. Darn, just walk around the mall, well, if I have to. Turns out I'm glad I did. I found Abby a super cute hat, scarf and gloves in the clearance bin for less than 10 euros. You can see it in the pic below. Back to the big day. We finally meet at the u-bahn and jump on. We head downtown to have breakfast at a favorite cafe. They make a mean omelet and have a picture perfect table in the front window. We make the hike down there, only to find out they are "machen urlaub" aka on vacation. Who takes vacation in February. Apparently, restaurant owners in Vienna. Plan B. This is Vienna and there is always another cafe around the corner. We head around the corner and low and behold another cafe. We sit down and enjoy of very nice fruestuck (breakfast). Then Jake leads me down to fav little shop to pick out a Valentine's present. You can see that in the pic below, too. We have just a little time before we have to pick up Abby, so Jake takes me into Starbucks. We grab a cup of coffee and set off to pick up the pipsqueak.
So, I'm thinking, "What a great day. Good breakfast, shopping and coffee to boot." We get Abby and start to head home, or so I think. Nope, my awesome man has other plans. He made arrangements with Brian and Alisha to keep her for the afternoon. Abby is jazzed about the prospect because she gets to play with Sharkdog. After we drop Abby off, we do indeed head home. Jake had rented 2 movies for our "Valentine's Theater Matinee" He also had a very pretty rose plant for me. Once again, see pic below. So, we watched movies ate popcorn and just relaxed on the couch. Around dinner time, Jake told me to get my shoes on we were going to go get something to eat. He took me to one of our fav places that is close by our house. They serve great traditional Austrian food. We stuffed ourselves and enjoyed another cup of coffee and then went back home to watch the second movie. Around 8 he went to pick Abby up. It was a perfect day, despite the initial bad attitude and early dining setbacks. Thanks, Hon, you're the best!!!!



3 comments:

EandJTrygg said...

Haskews:

Thank you so much for Maggie's Vienna shirt. We got it in the mail yesterday. How cute! Thank you for thinking of us. We'll be sure to send you a photo of her in it, although it likely will be a few months!

-- Erik and Jeanie

Candice said...

Amanda, sounds like V-day was wonderful for you guys! We never typically celebrate it and this year was no different, but I got a big gift delivered to my office on our anniversary (a build-a-bear). I need to put a post up about it.
Anyway, glad to hear you had a nice day!!!!
Talk soon!
Candice

Gena said...

Starbucks is never wrong, no matter what country you're in. There's something about a familiar 'face' in a foreign country. :)